Wednesday 28 December 2011

Music: John Mayer


Any of you that know me personally, will know that I fucking love John Mayer.
I would go as far as to say that his music has kept me going during some of the lower parts of my life recently, and that he continues to be the soundtrack to my life.
(Some would also say that i've got abit of a man crush on him, and they wouldn't be far wrong!)

The title of the blog, Just Chillin', suggests that the content is going to be stuff that I find when i'm chilling out.
Listening to John Mayer is what I do to chill out.
His music just hits me where I live...

Here are some of my favourite songs:

Bold As Love (Live in LA) -  A cover of a Jimi Hendrix song, but it's quality! Such an amazing song, so much feeling and passion in it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSGa8nZs8g

Daughters - One of his all time classic tunes. I have alot of love for this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZLbUIa7exE&ob=av2e

Gravity (Live in LA) - The live version of this is my favourite version. The solo is just amazing; so much passion in it! This song has picked me up from some all time lows in my life, and continues to make me happier when I listen to it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZLbUIa7exE&ob=av2e

Who Did You Think I Was - A really funky tune that I really enjoy listening to. The solo and off beat timing to the song is just really fun to listen to. It's also about how he doesn't fit the mould that the media thought he was in, just like I don't like to think that I fit any moulds of society.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLkO3uwBlQ&ob=av3n

Out of my mind (Live in LA) - Such a mellow tune. I love the heavy blues influence. John Mayer is literally bringing back the classic blues feel in this song; really love the atmosphere it gives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQkO3SGB3So

Crossroads - The first John Mayer song I learned to play. A cover of Eric Claptons song, but he manages to make it his own. His tone is amazing, and the off beat, syncopated timing of the solo is genius!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DHqWe0JK88

There are so many more that I could list, but I don't want to overwhelm you with song titles. However, if you do want a few more titles to check out, see the end.

Fair enough, he's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but in my personal opinion, he has got to be one of the best singer/songwriters and musicians of our generation.

Not only does he write good music, but he's also very generous to charity, and tries to help people where he can.
He's got a pretty amazing guitar and amp collection, some pretty epic tattoo's an epic watch collection, all of which I can only one day dreaming of owning.
Definately getting me a rolex, or an IWC Big Pilot when I get enough money though...

All in all, if there were one wish that could be granted to me before I die, it would definately be to meet and chill out with John Mayer.
Perhaps i'll just have to suffice with going to see him live in concert...

For those that wanted some more songs to check out, here they are:
Why Georgia
Waiting on the world to change
Heart of Life
Who Says
Stop this train
83
My Stupid Mouth
No Such Thing
Vultures
Friends, Lovers or Nothing

Those should keep you going for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment